Skip to main content

"We work to strengthen our collective well-being by making Salisbury a great place to live and work. We help to stimulate economic growth, build great neighborhoods, create good jobs, and preserve our natural and cultural resources."

- the Community Planning Services team

Community Planning Services manages the day-to-day and long-range growth and development of Salisbury. Under the direction of the City Manager, the department works with citizens and our partners to develop and enforce a variety of city-wide and special area plans meant to ensure an orderly and deliberate pattern of development that protects and strengthens our quality of life.

Community Planning Services includes three divisions: Code Services, Development Services, and Planning Services.

Contact Us

Code Services:
Development Services:
Planning Services:

Mailing Address:

PO Box 479
Salisbury, NC 28145


132 N. Main St.
Salisbury, NC 28144

Office Hours:

8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Monday - Friday

Administration: (704) 638-5240

Image of abandoned house

Code Services

The Code Enforcement Services Division enforces the codes of the City of Salisbury and improves the quality of life within our community through ensuring it is visually appealing, clean, and safe.

Learn More
downtown salisbury


Salisbury's downtown area is the pride of the community. During the visioning meetings held for this plan, citizens identified the downtown as the area most responsible for giving Salisbury its character as a community.

Learn More
close up of historic building exterior

Historic Preservation

The city has taken a progressive approach to preserving historic resources, establishing itself at the forefront of preservation in North Carolina with the designation of its first historic district in 1975.

Learn More
apartment building

Housing and Neighborhoods

We facilitate the stabilization and revitalization of distressed neighborhoods by increasing the supply and condition of affordable housing, plus developing long-range economic development and reinvestment strategies.

Learn More
professionals discussing city development

Urban Design

The City's urban design planner and the Community Appearance Commission focus on improving the quality and appearance of Salisbury.

Learn More
planning sign

Planning Board

The Planning Board is responsible for providing growth management and land development policy, zoning ordinance (LDO) and development proposal recommendations to the City Council.

Learn More
residential neighborhood


For the Community Development Block Grant (CDBG) Program, the primary objective of the program is the development of viable communities by the provision of decent housing, a suitable living environment, and expanded economic opportunities, principally for persons of low- and moderate-income.

Learn More
zoning map

Zoning Map

An interactive map for Salisbury, NC zoning information. Search for zoning and parcel information

Open Map


The City has several plans to make Salisbury's communities better places to live, work and thrive.



Permits are often required for new buildings, additions, residential work, renovations, electrical systems, plumbing systems and HVAC.

Find a Permit

What grants are available?

The City of Salisbury has several grants available to help make Salisbury a better place to live and work.

Grants are a type of financial aid that does not need to be repaid.

More About Grant Applications

Report an Issue

Citizens can log into the City of Salisbury's web application at to submit requests and complaints regarding issues such as missing road signs, pot holes, abandoned vehicles, city code infractions, illegal dumping, environmental health issues, ADA/accessibility, etc..

Report an Issue

Latest News

Salisbury Sculpture Show Has New Neighbors

Public Arts Commission 0 397

One of the prettiest feathers in Salisbury’s cap, the Sculpture Show, curated by the Salisbury Public Arts Commission, has returned with 21 new sculptures by artists from across the Eastern United States.

As a new initiative for 2022, the Public Arts Commission made a call for neighborhoods to apply as hosts for sculptures. Featured neighborhoods this year are: Castlewood, Country Club Hills, and Milford Knoll Neighborhood.

How do I ...

Apply for grant money? 

Certain residential and commercial properties are eligible for assistance through a variety of programs and resources available through the City and our partners. Please visit our grant applications page to learn more.

Register a business? 

To register a business, submit a Certificate of Registration (COR) application to the Development Services. Development Services is located on the first floor of the City Office Building at 132 North Main Street, Salisbury, NC 28144. Or, please contact Development Services staff directly by calling (704) 638-5208 or by emailing

Apply for a permit?

Many construction and home improvement projects require city and county permits before work may begin. To learn more information about zoning, building, and sign permits, please visit our permits page.

Find out if my property is in a Local Historic District?

You can visit our Historic Preservation page to review maps of Salisbury’s historic districts. If you own property within a local historic district, a Certificate of Appropriateness (COA) may be required from Development Services staff or the Historic Preservation Commission before making any minor alterations or major changes to the exterior of the structure or to the landscape.

Get permission to alter my historic property?

If you own property in one of Salisbury’s five Local Historic Districts, you may be required to obtain approval for a Certificate of Appropriateness (COA) from Development Services staff or the Historic Preservation Commission before making any minor alterations or major changes to the exterior of the structure or to the landscape.

Checkout the City's building and construction ordinances?

Before starting construction in the City of Salisbury, check out the Land Development Ordinance to see what policies might apply to your project.

Check my setback requirements?

Setback requirements can be reviewed in Chapter 5.16 of the Land Development Ordinance.

Access the City Zoning Map?

The City of Salisbury's zoning map is provided by the GIS division of Engineering department.

Learn more about the Plan Review process?

The following items must be submitted for a Plan Review:

Contact Code Enforcement?

If you would like to contact Code Enforcement staff directly, please call (704) 216-7559 or email

Learn more about water and sewer information?

If you would like to inquire about the cost or availability of water and sewer services, or need to get a lateral transfer, please contact Development Services staff directly by calling (704) 638-5208 or by emailing

Subscribe to our newsletter

También disponible en español

Copyright 2022 by City of Salisbury, NC Terms Of UsePrivacy Statement
Back To Top