Need help with your waste cans?
The WCA program is an option for Salisbury residents!
The City of Salisbury Solid Waste division has formalized its backyard Waste Collection Assistance (WCA) program to ensure worker safety as they enter private property. The free WCA initiative internally lists residents who need help bringing their recycling and/or garbage cans to the curb on their collection days. Through the formal Salisbury registration process, residents are giving waste collection staff permission to go onto their property to bring their trash can to the garbage truck and back again.
Waste Collection Assistance Program application (PDF)
To qualify for the WCA program, you must:
- Be a current Salisbury Public Works customer who receives residential curbside services;
- Residents must have a permanent or temporary disability in performing the task of bringing their garbage cans to the curb on their collection days;
- Verification of the injury or difficulty is required from a doctor or the Department of Motor Vehicles. Verification concerns can be heard on a case-by-case basis.
- Acknowledge that WCA participants may be subject to annual audits to verify continued eligibility..
How to Apply
- Download or print the Waste Collection Assistance Program application (PDF).
- Read all sections of the application, complete Part A and sign Part C.
- Send or give the application to your health provider.
- A physician or physician's assistant must complete and sign the healthcare provider section (Part B).
- Mail the completed application to Public Works, 303 W. Franklin Street, Salisbury NC 28144, email it to firstname.lastname@example.org, or fax it to (704) 638-5256.
Only complete applications will be processed.
If you wish to have a blank application mailed to you, please call us at at (704) 638-5256.
Once a WCA application is approved, program guidelines should be followed to prevent a missed collection or service.
- Please be sure to prepare your garbage or recycling correctly, or it will not be collected.
- Your carts must be accessible to our crews. Solid Waste personnel will not go on porches, behind fences or gates, in garages, up steps, or decks to access garbage, recycling, and yard waste containers.
- All animals must be secured and enclosed in a fence. Solid Waste personnel will not enter spaces with loose animals (pets) or maneuver over terrain, creating terrain issues that make collection unsafe.
Let Us Know if You no Longer Need WCA Service
If you no longer need the service, please let us know so we can remove the address from the program list. Contact us at (704) 638-5256.