The Salisbury Police Department is engaging with its community to ensure residents and visitors have a safe and enjoyable Fourth of July.
The Fourth of July is a day when many people celebrate our nation’s independence with picnics, swimming, cookouts, fireworks and other fun activities.
- Just a reminder that what goes up, must come down.
- It can be exciting to get into the holiday spirit, but you need to do so with care. Celebrations on the Fourth of July should never involve guns being shot into the air. When a gun is not aimed at a target, the likelihood of the bullet hitting a person on its way back down is extremely high. Firearms are not fireworks and it is illegal to discharge a firearm within the city limits.
- Remember firearms and alcohol don’t mix.
- Be sure fireworks are legal in your area before using them. Always have an adult supervise fireworks activities. If you set off fireworks keep a bucket of water handy in case of malfunction or fire.
- Don’t leave your grill unattended. As soon as you fire up the grill, make sure it is attended at all times. The few seconds it may take you to run to get more burgers may be all it takes for little hands or bodies to sustain burns.
- Swimming is fun and a kid-friendly activity, particularly on a holiday weekend. If you are planning to take your kids swimming, make sure they have adequate adult supervision at all times.
The Salisbury Police Department wishes the community a Happy and Safe Fourth of July weekend.