Skip to main content
SRU logo

Salisbury-Rowan Utilities is the water and wastewater provider for Salisbury, Granite Quarry, Rockwell, Spencer, China Grove, and some unincorporated areas within Rowan County. SRU also provides water and/or wastewater services to East Spencer, Faith, and Landis.

Our mission is to provide quality water and wastewater services to the region, protect our local environment, promote public health, improve the quality of life, and maintain the public trust.

SRU has launched a new, free web-based customer service tool called EyeOnWater. EyeOnWater gives customers their water usage data gathered by SRU’s “smart meters” in near real time so they can manage their accounts down to the week, day, or even hour. Learn more at


This division includes the following sub-divisions: Water Plant Operations, Wastewater Plant Operations, Plants Maintenance, and Bio-Solids.

Learn More


This division includes the following sub-divisions: System Administration, Water Distribution, Wastewater Collection, Utility Construction, and Meter Services.

Learn More


This division includes the following sub-divisions: Environmental Services, Engineering/GIS, and Administration/Education.

Learn More

Contact Us

Customer Service

1415 S. MLK Jr. Ave.
Salisbury, NC 28144

Hours of Operation:

9:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Monday - Friday

(704) 638-5300

Salisbury-Rowan Utilities

Mailing Address:
P.O. Box 479
Salisbury, North Carolina 28145

Administration Building:
One Water Street
Salisbury, North Carolina 28144

photo of Jason Wilson

Interim Utilities Director

Jason H. Wilson, P.E.
(704) 216-7553

SRU Org. Chart
Share2Care program allows residents to donate money towards water and sewer funds to benefit local families in need

How do I ...

Ask a Billing Question/Report a Billing Problem

To ask a billing question or report a billing problem, please call (704) 638-5300 Monday through Friday from 9:00 am to 5:00 pm. You can also make your request in person at the Salisbury Customer Service Center at 1415 S. Martin Luther King Jr. Ave. Salisbury, NC 28144.

Pay A Bill Online

Set Up or Change Water/Sewer Service

To set up your water/sewer service or to change your existing water/sewer service, please bring the following documents to the Customer Service Center. You can also call (704) 638-5300 Monday through Friday from 9:00 am to 5:00 pm. You can also make your request in person at the Salisbury Customer Service Center at 1415 S. Martin Luther King Jr. Ave. Salisbury, NC 28144.
If you own your property, bring the following documentation:
  • Proof of ownership of property
  • Government ID
  • Social Security Number
If you are renting property, bring the following documentation:
  • Copy of current rental agreement/lease
  • Government ID
  • Social Security Number
  • $150.00 deposit

Report a Water Main Break?

A water main is an underground pipe that delivers water to the customer's service pipe. In residential areas it usually runs under the street. If a hole or crack develops in the pipe, the water will typically find its way to the surface. Because the water main is under pressure, water will continue to flow until the break is repaired.

This qualifies as a water/sewer emergency. To report a water/sewer emergency, please call (704) 638-5390 during the hours of 7:30 am to 4:00 pm, Monday through Friday. During after hours, weekends or holidays, please call (704) 638-5339.

Report a Leak Between My Water Meter and the Street?

The City of Salisbury is responsible for maintaining the water line from the main (street) to your water meter. You are responsible for repairs to any part of the water system from the meter toward your home or business. If you find a leak, please repair it as quickly as possible to minimize water loss. Possible signs of an underground leak are green patchy areas, moist areas or saturated areas on the ground.

This qualifies as a water/sewer emergency. To report a water/sewer emergency, please call (704) 638-5390 during the hours of 7:30 am to 4:00 pm, Monday through Friday. During after hours, weekends or holidays, please call (704) 638-5339.

Report an Overflowing Manhole?

An overflowing manhole is a manhole (usually found in the street) that fills and allows raw wastewater to flow out onto the street or ground.

This qualifies as a water/sewer emergency. To report a water/sewer emergency, please call (704) 638-5390 during the hours of 7:30 am to 4:00 pm, Monday through Friday. During after hours, weekends or holidays, please call (704) 638-5339.

Properly Dispose of Fat, Oil, Grease, and Wax?

Over time, fats, oils, grease and wax (known by the acronym FOG) leads to blockages that result in overflows into our homes or onto our streets, down storm drains, and into local waterways, all posing a serious risk to public health.

Keeping our drains FOG free is as easy as 1-2-3!

1. Can the Grease
Pour used cooking grease into an empty, heat safe container, such as a soup can, and store it in the freezer. Once solidified, toss the can into the garbage.
2. Scrape Your Plate
Wipe all pots, pans, dishes, and cooking utensils with a paper towel prior to washing to absorb the grease.
3. Catch the Scraps
Eliminate using the garbage disposal. Catch food scraps in your sink with a basket or strainer and toss them into the trash or compost bin.

Remember...large quantities of household fats, oils or grease accumulated from cooking, frying, and general food preparation can be recycled. Residentially-generated fryer oil is collected through the local Household Hazardous Waste or Household Chemical Collection program. Simply return it to the original container and drop it off at your local recycling/household hazardous waste center.

Learn More About the City's FOG Program

Maintain Good Water Quality at Home?

To assist homeowners, here are 10 tips for maintaining water quality at home:
  • Clean faucets and aerators regularly
  • Clean and disinfect sinks and drains regularly
  • Keep drains clear and unclogged
  • Use cold water for drinking and preparing food
  • Replace old plumbing and install certified “lead free” fixtures
  • Flush cold water taps after household plumbing work or when the water hasn’t been used for several days
  • Drain and flush your hot water heater annually
  • Follow the manufacturer’s instructions for the water heater, filters, treatment devices, softeners and any other products attached to the water system
  • Do not connect hoses or other devices intended for non-drinking purposes to household drinking water faucets
  • Keep hazardous chemicals and unsanitary materials away from drinking water faucets
Water Quality and home Maintenance Brochure

Reduce the Smell/Taste of Chlorine?

Chlorine is used to disinfect drinking water at our treatment plant and guards against bacteria, viruses and parasites. Typically, chlorine levels throughout our system should not produce a heavy chlorine smell; however, sensitivity to the odor of chlorine varies among consumers. If you are sensitive to the smell or taste of chlorine there are some simple tips to reduce this:

Fill a pitcher of water and set it aside for several hours while the chlorine dissipates. It's recommended this be in a clean, covered container made for drinking water and placed in the refrigerator. Also, transferring water rapidly between two pitchers can accelerate chlorine dissipation.

If you use a water treatment device or filter to alter the taste or condition of your water, these should be used, cleaned and changed according to the manufacturer's instructions or they may contribute to other problems.

If your tap water has a smell or taste other than chlorine, you or a licensed plumber should inspect your home to ensure proper water quality.

Water Quality and home Maintenance Brochure

Fix Cloudy or Milk Colored Water?

If your water looks cloudy or milky, this is typically due to tiny air bubbles; and these should rise to the top of the water and exit into the air within a few seconds. This is harmless and usually happens when it is very cold outside because the water solubility of air in water increases as water temperature decreases.

Plus, the water in the pipes is pressurized to help deliver it to your home; this pressurized water holds more air than water. Once it exits your tap, it is no longer under pressure and the air comes out in the form of bubbles (similar to a carbonated soft drink). The solution is to fill a pitcher of water and set it aside until the bubbles dissipate. It's recommended this be in a clean, covered container made for drinking water and placed in the refrigerator.

If your tap water has a different color or appearance than mentioned previously, you or a licensed plumber should inspect your home to ensure proper water quality.

Water Quality and home Maintenance Brochure

Safely Store Water for Emergency Preparedness?

If you store tap water, it is important to use proper, clean covered containers that are designed for drinking water that are BPA free or made of glass. Do not reuse bottles from bottled-water companies (#1 PETE bottles) as these can leach carcinogens and many already contain bacteria or chemical contaminants.

Stored tap water should also be kept in the refrigerator. Only use water from the cold tap for drinking and preparing food.

Many emergency preparedness agencies recommend keeping stored water on hand in the event of an emergency. At the very minimum, citizens should keep a 3 day supply of water (at least one gallon of water, per person, per day).

Water Quality and home Maintenance Brochure

Bill Pay

City services that might be on your bill include water, sewer, trash, recycling and stormwater.

Pay by Mail:
City of Salisbury, P.O. Box 740600 Atlanta, GA 30374

1415 S. MLK Jr. Ave. Salisbury, NC 28144

Pay Online Please ensure you are using Google Chrome as your web browser for the most user-friendly experience to pay/view your invoice online.


Be the Difference in Salisbury

Are you looking for a career that makes a difference in people’s lives?

Local government services impact every aspect of our community. From garbage collection to fire safety to ensuring that your drinking water is safe.

Be the change you want to see in the world. Be the difference. The City of Salisbury provides excellent benefits, a sign-on bonuses, and a progressive environment.

Join Team Salisbury!


Water Quality

view of water tower from underneath

What is the water quality in Salisbury?

SRU compiles an Annual Drinking Water Quality Report that is a snapshot of last year's water quality.

SRU’s Water Treatment Division is required to test for over 150 contaminants to make sure that the water you drink is safe.

More about Water Quality
the water testing lab, with staff checking a fluid mix inside a glass beaker

Can I get my well water tested?

While Salisbury-Rowan Utility does not regulate private wells, we can perform both Bacteriological testing and Nitrate/Nitrite testing.

More about Well Testing
the wastewater analysis lab testing a yellow fluid in a beaker

Does SRU also handle wastewater?

SRU compiles an Annual Wastewater Quality Report that is a snapshot of last year's wastewater quality.

SRU treats industrial, commercial and residential waste from Salisbury, Landis, China Grove, Spencer, East Spencer, Rockwell, Faith and Granite Quarry. Gravity sewer lines, force mains and lift stations collect and pump the wastewater to the treatment trains.

More about Wastewater Report

Fees and Rates

What is the North Carolina Water & Wastewater Rates Dashboard?

This interactive rates and financial benchmarking dashboard is designed to assist utility managers and local officials with analyzing residential water and wastewater rates against multiple characteristics, including utility finances, system characteristics, customer base socioeconomic conditions, and geography. Financial indicators are added in a separate tab. This dashboard was funded through a cooperative agreement with the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency. 

North Carolina Water and Wastewater Rates Dashboard


The F.O.G. (Fat, Oil, Grease and Wax) Control Program is mandated by federal and state government and includes an educational component for residential and non-residential customers as well as an enforceable ordinance aimed at safely managing the discharge of FOG from commercial food service establishments.

More About F.O.G.


This is a State and EPA mandated program designed to protect the sewer collection system, wastewater treatment plants and their receiving streams, as well as employees.

More About Pretreatment


Residents and businesses are responsible for preventing backflow and cross connection contamination to the public water supply as well as their own internal water systems.

More About Prevention

Household Mercury

Household Mercury - Appropriate Uses and Disposal Practices PDF

What is Mercury?

Mercury is a versatile, natural element and has traditionally been used in many products as well as in various processing operations and applications. If handled properly, mercury can be both beneficial and safe; however, if handled improperly even small amounts of mercury can be harmful to humans and wildlife.

Mercury Containing Devices

Mercury Containing Devices (MCDs) include older thermometers, thermostats, switches, and some light bulbs which contain elemental mercury as well as mercury vapor; and many are used every day in homes, schools and businesses. For example, fluorescent lamps use less energy than traditional incandescent lamps; but, unless handled, recycled, or disposed of properly, the vapor from broken or discarded bulbs can contaminate air, surface water and groundwater. If a fluorescent bulb is broken in a confined area, specific steps should be taken to immediately evacuate the area to avoid breathing and further spreading of mercury vapor (see the section on Mercury Release, Spills or Breakage of MCDs). Other MCDs such as mercury thermostats and switches are becoming antiquated and costly to maintain; so as they are being replaced, it is imperative they be handled appropriately.

One reason this is important is because mercury in the air eventually settles into water, or onto land where it can be washed into water. Certain microorganisms can then change it into methylmercury, a highly toxic form that builds up in some types of fish and shellfish making this the main source of exposure to humans. This buildup occurs more in some types of fish and shellfish than others, and the toxic levels depend on what they eat, how long they live, and how high they are in the food chain. Fish advisories, the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA,) the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) as well as each state work to issue advice to women who are or may become pregnant, nursing mothers, and parents of young children about how often they should eat certain types of commercially caught fish and shellfish. High levels of methylmercury in the bloodstream of unborn babies and young children may harm their developing nervous systems, impairing their ability to think and learn. Fortunately, research shows that most people's average fish consumption does not cause a health concern; however, when mercury or MCDs are mishandled causing the release of mercury into the environment, the exposure increases. Because high levels of mercury can affect the brain, heart, kidneys, lungs, and immune system of humans of all ages, mercury disposal is regulated by state and federal laws. Improper disposal such as in municipal solid waste collection facilities and landfills is forbidden; therefore, the following are options for proper handling.

Mercury-Containing Thermostats

Mercury-Containing Thermostats are regulated as universal waste and are the responsibility of the generator at the time the device is considered a waste material. Proper management can be found at and search on mercury.

Lights Containing Mercury

Lights Containing Mercury (LCM) including fluorescent, ultraviolet, neon, and high intensity discharge lights that contain mercury vapor should not be discarded with regular waste. North Carolina residents are strongly encouraged to recycle spent fluorescent lights from their home using the following options. Various retailers and electric cooperatives across the state offer free recycling of compact fluorescent lights to customers, and some mail-back programs exist for those unable to visit these locations. For a list of these visit

Local Disposal Options of MCDs

Rowan County Recycling Center will accept thermometers, thermostats, and fluorescent bulbs at their upcoming special waste recycling event on October 12 at 1102 North Long Street Extension in East Spencer. See flyer below for more details.

Mercury Release, Spills, or Breakage of a MCD

IMPORTANT! Immediate action is required when a mercury release occurs or if a device containing mercury is damaged. Proper and controlled clean-up is determined by what device was damaged, the amount of mercury released, where it was released, and who was exposed. Details can be found at hg/spills. If internet access is not available call your local poison control center at (800) 222-1222. For spills of more than the amount of a thermometer, but less than or similar to two tablespoons, immediately contact your local health department. If after hours, contact your local fire department without delay. When spills involve more than two tablespoons of mercury, it is mandatory to call the National Response Center (NRC) at (800) 424 -8802 immediately, day or night.

More on Mercury Recycling

More general information on mercury recycling can be found at the North Carolina Dept. of Environmental Quality website at and search on mercury. The Federal Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) also offers information at hg. For more information regarding managing mercury products, contact Joseph Fitzpatrick, Environmental Specialist with the N.C. Division of Environmental Assistance and Customer Service at 919- 707-8121, or visit your local waste reduction programs and contacts page to identify solid waste management staff in your community.

Subscribe to our newsletter

También disponible en español

Copyright 2024 by City of Salisbury, NC Terms Of UsePrivacy Statement
Back To Top