Tips for Holiday Safe Shopping
SPD Officer Rebecca Sexton shares tips on how to stay safe during Black Friday:
- Be aware of your surroundings. Don’t just focus on shopping always look at people and cars around you.
- There’s always safety in numbers. Take someone with you.
- Before leaving home: Make sure all doors and windows are secured, and leave a light or two on to make it appear that someone is there.
- Attempt to shop during the day or park in a well-lit area while shopping at night. Make sure your vehicle is free from any clutter (what might be junk to you, could be a treasure to someone else. (Loose change in a tray, blotted bags with trash, etc.).
- Ladies: Keep purse close to your body or carry your driver’s license, cash and/or “one” credit card in your front pocket.
- Men: Don’t have wallet visible in your back pocket, just carry driver’s license, cash and/or “one” credit card in front pocket.
- Try to make one trip to your vehicle to store your shopping bags. A thief could be waiting in parking to see if you return into the store, and break into car while you’re gone.
- Returning Home: Be aware of your surrounding (suspicious people walking in the neighborhood).