Update as of 9:17 p.m. per Norfolk Southern:
- We have brought in specialized equipment to re-rail the derailed locomotive and move the other locomotives and will be working through the night.
- There was a minor fuel spill from the derailed locomotive, which has been contained.
- On Monday we expect to begin making track repairs. The track was damaged in the derailment.
- The cause of the derailment is under investigation.
- We want thank the emergency responders who have been working with us today, including the Salisbury fire and police departments, and Rowan-Salisbury Hazmat.
Update as of 7 :15 p.m.: Norfolk Southern contractors are now onsite at the train derailment in Salisbury, N.C. Crews continue to remove diesel fuel from the locomotive.
At 12:40 pm, a Norfolk Southern train derailed at Salisbury, NC.
Three of the seven locomotives in the train have derailed and one has a small diesel fuel leak.
Norfolk Southern is working closely with the Salisbury Fire and Police departments and Rowan County Hazmat response team to respond to the incident.
Norfolk Southern has environmental experts and contractors enroute to assist.
The train consisted of 7 locomotives and 70 rail cars. None of the rail cars were impacted in the derailment.