The Atlantic hurricane season runs from June 1 through November 30. To keep your family safe this hurricane season, and to minimize risks associated with severe weather, follow these tips from Salisbury’s public safety officials:
- Develop an emergency communications plan.
- Check flood insurance and know your insurance policy.
- Build your emergency kit (and don’t forget to prepare an emergency kit for your pet).
- If you live in an area that is likely to flood, designate a location on higher ground that you can move to before floodwaters reach you.
- Learn how to use a generator safely.
- Never touch a downed power line, stay away from it, and report it to the power company.
- Never walk, swim or drive through floodwater. Remember: Turn around, don’t drown.
Residents are encouraged to sign up for RoCo Alerts, the City and Rowan County’s notification system to receive information about emergencies and other important community news. Sign-up at salisburync.gov/rocoalerts.
For more hurricane season tips, visit: www.ready.gov/hurricanes.