The Atlantic hurricane season runs from June 1 through November 30. To keep your family safe this hurricane season, and to minimize risks associated with severe weather, follow these tips from Salisbury’s public safety officials:
- Develop a weather emergency plan and e,ergency kit
- Check flood insurance and know your insurance policy
- If you live in an area that is likely to flood, designate a location on
higher ground that you can move to before floodwaters reach you
- Never touch downed power lines. Move away from it, and call 911
- Learn how to use a generator safely
- Build your emergency kit (and don’t forget to prepare an emergency kit
for your pet)
- Put enough water, food and supplies in your emergency kit for 3-7 days
per person and per pet in your family
- Keep your kit in one place and make sure your family knows where it is
Residents are encouraged to sign up for RoCo Alerts, the City and Rowan County’s notification system, to receive information about emergencies and other important community news. Sign-up at salisburync.gov/rocoalerts.
For more hurricane season tips, visit: www.ready.gov/hurricanes.