Are you recycling correctly? Did you know that the wrong item in your recycling bin could contaminate an entire truckload?
Here are the top 12 contaminants to keep OUT of your recycling bin:
- DON’T BAG RECYCLABLES
No recyclables in plastic bags. Empty loose recyclables in the bin but leave the plastic bag out.
- NO FOOD OR LIQUIDS
Compost these items, or throw them in the trash.
- NO ELECTRONICS OR SMALL APPLIANCES
Donate items if in good condition (earth911.com), if not schedule a bulky item pickup.
- NO TEXTILES, RUGS, CARPET OR BEDDING
These items can be donated if they are in good condition.
- NO CORDS, HANGERS STRING LIGHTS, HOSES
These go in the trash. If recycled they could wrap around equipment and then shut down a facility.
- NO PLASTIC BAGS, FILM SHEETING, FILM FLEXIBLE PACKAGING
These could also wrap around equipment. Take plastic bags to a grocer.
- NO PAPER NAPKINS, CUPS, PLATES, TISSUE
However, you can recycle cardboard boxes and cardboard tubes!
- NO POLYSTYRENE FOAM, FOAM, PLASTIC TO-GO CONTAINERS
These are not recyclable. Throw them in the trash.
- NO TIRES, OIL, AUTO PARTS, SCRAP METAL
Contact local scrap recyclers or retail tire stores for options.
- NO CONCRETE, WOOD, CONSTRUCTION DEBRIS
Throw into trash or order a bin from a private waste company.
- NO YARD WASTE, TREE LIMBS, GRASS
Compost or visit salisburync.gov/Recycle for collection options.
- NO NON-RECYCLABLE PLASTIC
Recycle only food and beverage bottles, jugs, and tubes.
Before you throw an item in the recycling bin, check for contaminants. For more visit salisburync.gov/Recycle or call (704) 638-5256.