Over the past few months, thefts from motor vehicles again have increased. A vast majority of those break-ins have been in unlocked cars or cars where valuables, including guns, are visible. Stolen guns are crime guns.
The Salisbury Police Department urges residents and visitors to lock their car doors, even if they’ll only be away from their vehicle for a few minutes. Locking car doors, taking valuables with you, or storing them in the trunk, can help reduce the risk of thieves stealing from your car.
Here are more tips on how to keep your valuables safe:
1) Never leave electronics, such as cell phones, guns, laptops, or GPS devices in plain sight.
2) Be sure to hide all loose change.
3) Always park in well-lit areas and avoid concealment from larger vehicles.
4) Remove purses or book bags.
5) Completely close windows and sunroofs.
Together, we can greatly reduce the chances of your vehicle becoming a target. For more information call (704) 638-5333 or visit salisburync.gov/Police.